Monday, December 1, 2008

She Loves Me Like a Rock?



For many of our friends, and especially those with kids, Jesse's made mixed CD's, with music that he's identified as "essential" for kids to know and like. Of course he's going to do so for little Jackson, but I'm asking for a little help... what song or songs do you think is/are essential for Jack to know?
Leave your song choice or choices in the comments section - the only "rule" is that you have to give a reason why Jack should know the song. The reason doesn't gave to be super-involved, it could be simply that it's your favorite song... We'll most likely put together an iTunes playlist, and use it to introduce Jack to good music and the tastes of his aunts and uncles.

In part, I'm looking for interesting songs to sing Jack to sleep - Jesse's mom used to sing him to sleep with "Mac The Knife" because it was the only song she knew all the lyrics to... but, if you're familiar with the song, that details the exploits of a serial killer, it's not exactly the most cuddle-worthy song. I'm thinking I've got to choose wisely, because I get the mother-son dance, and I'd prefer that the song Jack and I dance to be one we've got history with... They don't have to be slow, or a lullaby.

Aaaaaad... go!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Well, since it _is_ Jesse's child, I do think any Star Wars theme is in the mix ^_~.

Anonymous said...

well since you are the babies momma you have to add "jesse's girl" preferably the one that is one your wedding cd, i love that song! i will try and think if something more creative =)

John said...

I think the lullaby-type songs argument should always start and end with "Good Night" by the Beatles. However, for you & Jesse, I think "Junk" by Paul McCartney may be more appropriate, considering its significance with your wedding & everything.

Outside of those, Baby Mine from Dumbo is a pretty good one that can always be listened to.

Me, though -- I'll be sticking with "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica to sing any little ones to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I'm nominating some Bob Marley for the kiddo. The music is amazing and there's a lot to learn from it!

Anonymous said...

Max loved all the CDs I've got from the "Rockabye Baby" collection. They're lullaby renditions of all sorts of different bands. I've got Metallica, The Cure, AC/DC, U2, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Tool, Rolling Stones and probably more I'm forgetting. There's also a series called "Baby Goes..." I have new wave, hair metal, and southern rock. I can burn you a disc of all the baby-appropriate music I have. Now that he's a little older he seems to have developed a taste for classic rock (he loves Boston) and some metal, the real stuff not the lullaby versions.