Monday, March 9, 2009

I got pwned. Twice.

Way back several months ago, our friends Lisa and Ann asked, if nobody was planning a baby shower for me, if they could. They also decided that I wasn't allowed to know anything about it, because... well... I'm kind of a fussbudget, and if they let me get involved, I'd do most of the planning, which they didn't want. The only thing they wanted me to do was show up and enjoy myself. I said that at the very least, I wanted to know time, date and location. So, when the invitations went out, I got one too, that said the shower was on March 14. It was really on March 7. I had no idea, as the picture of me walking into the room attests.

But, not to be outdone, the people at my office had also planned a shower for me. On March 6, there was an announcement that everyone should meet in the main conference room for cake, to say goodbye to one of our co-workers who was leaving for another job. Not suspecting anything, I almost didn't go, as I was deep in the preparation of several responses to requests for proposals, each of which were due the next week or the week after. However, Chris, our receptionist, convinced me to have some cake to say goodbye to Ron. I walked in to the conference room, and it was my shower. I totally got pwned. Twice. So much for me thinking I'm so freaking smart, right?? My only consolation is that Jesse's office totally surprised him like, three weeks later.I don't have the pictures from work yet - I forgot to burn them to disk. But I'll put them up as soon as I can.

I can't begin to thank everyone who had a hand in fooling me - I have never had a surprise party thrown for me before, and I was pretty sure that I'd always be able to figure it out if someone tried. Jesse worked super hard to make sure I was kept in the dark, and by letting me think I knew when my shower was, as well as asking me for ideas along the way, I was completely fooled.

My friends know me pretty well, and for that I'm very lucky. The showers were "Under the Sea" themed, and were just absolutely wonderful. Lisa had lots of fish decorations everywhere, with blue streamers that looked like waves, and toy sharks lurking amongst the food. But the absolute best were the inflatable crab and octopus that sat above Lisa's television cabinet. My mom got in on the action by providing the cake, which looked just like the invitation.

Our friends decimated Jack's registry, and we got everything we needed, and then some. The best was Lisa's idea that, instead of a card, everyone bring a book for Jack, so he's already got a little library started. It was awesome how so many people went out of their way to get Jack a book that they loved as a child, even going to used book stores to find out-of-print ones, and while all of the gifts were generous and welcomed, the books really are the best.

Although... My sister and I have a weird sense of humor, and things often strike us funny that aren't funny at all. Case in point - my sister was at Old Navy buying clothes for my niece and nephew, who always grow out of their clothes mid-season. She came across a onesie that must have been a left-over from Halloween - it has a weird werewolf with an afro on it, and a caption of "Hairwolf". We thought it was ridiculous. Beyond that, I was born completely bald, so there's a chance that Jackson will not have hair, either. Which makes the idea of him wearing a Hairwolf onesie even more hilarious.

Thanks to all who had a part in putting me in my place!

No comments: