Sunday, January 4, 2009

I feel like cooked spaghetti

For the holidays, Jesse treated me to a spa day. He created a personalized package for me, since I couldn't avail myself of many of the pre-arranged packages (they have body wraps that I can't have because I'm preggers) and the pre-natal package included a hair cut and style (I only let two stylists touch my head-suit). He called it the "I Love Nikki but She Smells Bad" package, and it included a full body pre-natal massage, a facial, and a manicure and pedicure. I felt totally pampered from head to toe. When he picked me up at the spa, after three hours of attention, I felt as limp as cooked spaghetti. We had a bit of lunch, and upon arriving at the Manse, I promptly napped for two hours. It was truly a perfect day, and for the first time in months my back (between my shoulder blades) didn't ache.

I haven't had many of the problems that usually come with pregnancy... I didn't have any morning sickness, I only had a couple of food aversions, things have been... regular, and although I've gained baby weight, it's within the range of what's "good." I was tired during the first trimester, but it wasn't like I was falling asleep at work. My only complaint at this point has been that, with the extra weight, my back is very sore between my shoulder blades. Also, I've been having pain in my right hip in part because of the pregnancy.

Jesse drove me to the spa for my appointment - I got there at about 11:00, and shortly thereafter the aptly named Bruce the Masseuse came to get me. He had me lay on my side, and he got down into my shoulders and shoulder blades. It hurt... a lot. But after a bit everything started loosening up. My favorite part was, after rolling on to my back for a bit, Bruce the Masseuse slid his hands down to below my shoulder blades and then pushed them up to get at the knots underneath. He just kind of held me up like that, with his fingertips pushing up into my back with my weight pressing me down. It was what hurt the most, but also felt the best. I also didn't realize how much tension I had in my thighs and arms, either! When he was done, I felt like limp spaghetti.

The next part was the facial, and I've only ever had one other in my life. They're awesome. My favorite part was the steam about halfway through - not only did it feel good on my skin, but it cleared up my sinuses (I hadn't even realized I was congested). Afterward, my skin was glowing, and not just because of the pregnancy!

The mani/pedi was pretty standard, but it was still nice to have the attention on my hands and feet... I usually go for most of the winter with scratchy heels and rough callouses, and now they feel all soft and smooth.

I had among the best nights of sleep ever, and woke up without achy hips and a tight back for the first time in months. In fact, my back has been achy since "the girls" developed when I was 16, and the problem in my hip has been around for almost as long, so this was the first time I wasn't sore in quite a long time. Jesse has treated me to massages before, but this was the best - probably because of the extra weight I've been carrying. Even today, while the pain is gradually returning between my shoulder blades, my shoulders and lower back are still pretty loose. I'm hoping to finagle another massage some time in early April... I hear they can help encourage labor...

No comments: