Monday, August 4, 2008

Week 5 - My Baby is the size of an Orange Seed

So, I'm about to finish Week 5 (you start counting from the date of your last menstrual period). The baby is the size of an orange seed, and looks a lot like a tadpole.

I shift moment-to-moment from super-excited to completely overwhelmed. I feel like there is so much to do, and time is running out to do it. I mean, we still have boxes that are not unpacked scattered throughout the basement! And then there's the worrying about work, and how much time I can afford to take off... All those things, and we haven't even finished Week 5 yet. I keep reminding myself that I've got plenty of time.

To date, I've felt mild nausea, but no real morning sickness. I shift between feeling like I could yak, and being ravenous. Then, when I do eat, the food is the Best and Most Tastiest Meal Ever. I find that I can only eat little meals, but I'm eating more of them. And, my boobs are definitely bigger, and sore (like with PMS, but ramped up to 11).

I bought "What to Expect When You're Expecting, which is basically the pregnancy bible... To that extent, I feel like I'm reading up on everything that I can, to make myself as prepared as one can be for nine months of daily body changes and unpredictable feelings. I guess this is good practice for me to begin getting used to the planned chaos that is a child, right? Right now, I'm familiarizing myself with what I can and can't eat. Did you know that lunch meats were bad? They could have listeria... so, I can eat them, but only if I microwave them until they're steaming... gross.

I'm super-excited, though, that I took the home test as early as I did. To be honest, as you know from the "Pregnant, or PMS?" post, I've been feeling pregnant probably from the beginning of implantation, which is pretty cool to think that I haven't missed a minute of this baby's life. I wish I had thought to take pictures of myself, and measurements, from the very start. I don't have a tape measure, so pictures will have to do for now. As you can see, I'm not showing at all, I'm just festively plump.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am cracking up at "festively plump"! the thing that stinks is that before your belly gets big enough to fit into maternity clothes, you are trying to squeeze everything into your normal clothes that are growing tighter and tighter each day. you wanna scream " look people, yes i have gained some weight but i am PREGGERS for goodness sake!!!" =)

i can't wait to see you guys on sunday! oh and instead of daycare, send the baby to me =)

SarahR said...

I am soooo thrilled for you guys!! Congratulations!! Showin' some love from Texas!! We miss you guys!