My mother is retiring this year (hallelujah). Her retirement dinner/celebration was last night - Congratulations Mom! You made it, finally!My mother read a "Top Ten Things I Won't Miss" list, which I didn't get but went over real big with the other teachers there. Video to be added later... My sister Tara and I created a bag with "mementos" of the funnier stories from my mother's years in teaching. Among these funnies: carrots to represent vegementarly (the spelling word was vegetable), a map with "mongitude, rongitude, and tongitude marked (three synonyms for longitude, obviously), and an absence note with some of my mother's funnier excuses (please accuse my child of being absent, "wast filling will" instead of "wasn't feeling well", and the parent who kept her child home because the mother's ovaries hurt), and OxyClean (the spelling word was oxen, and the child used the word in a sentence - "Oxen clean is a face remover"). I have video, and will add it when they are finished uploading... I "slung" Jack, and he was quite happy hanging out. Everyone was surprised at how well he handled everything, considering it was super-hot in the room, and very loud... Jack's a trooper, what can I say!! My sister's children Dylan and Brody were also amazing - they were dancing up a storm. Dylan was especially excited that she was allowed to go up to the bar and order her own drinks (water with lemon, and then a water with lime, followed up by a Shirley Temple). Around 8:00pm, Brody was ready to call it quits - during his favorite song, too! Don't call it "I'm A Believer" when everyone knows the name of the song is "Shrek" thank you very much... Video of the fun to be added... The worst/best part of the night - my mother and her principal don't get along (understatement!), and the retirement dinner was for my mother and another retiring colleague. The principal made a glowing speech for the other teacher, and didn't say ANYTHING about my mom - not even a "Good luck, and enjoy your retirement." Douche bag! I guess he took to heart the adage that if you can't say anything nice, you don't say anything at all? Pictures of the fun: Jack dancing with Aunt Tara and Mom-Mom, Jack not loving Aunt Tara at that moment, and Dylan drinking again...
Jack was Captain Fussypants all day yesterday (of course)... he's rarely ever fussy for an entire day, usually having moments in the day - of course the one day I'd want him to take a nap is the one day he chooses not to do so... In any event, it was a fun dinner. My mom's teacher friends and colleagues were there, and dancing up a storm.


No comments:
Post a Comment