Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Have a Pain in the Neck

And it's not Jesse (wokka wokka wokka). I did something weird in my sleep and completely wrenched my neck. I was having awful muscle spasms, but the pain was manageable... But last night and this morning my entire back and neck seized up - I couldn't move without serious pain that was radiating down my arm. Sux!

I went to the doctor, and they gave me a muscle relaxer called Skelaxin, which I keep calling Skele-grow. Seriously though - Skelaxin... awesome name!!!

Not to be all TMI, but I had over 200 ounces of pumped milk in the freezer. I'm really glad I have such a stash, because as with most drugs, there's no research on whether or not muscle relaxers are harmful to nursing babies.

I fed Jack his nighttime bottle instead of nursing him tonight. It was a weird feeling to not be nursing him... I love the closeness I feel when we're nursing, but I still felt very close to Jack even feeding him with the bottle. We were able to make more eye contact while I was feeding him. It was nice to look down into his face (as best I could - my neck is still pretty stiff), and to watch him slowly drift off to sleep... I think the people who say that you don't bond as much with your baby when you bottle feed are off their rockers. I'm not happy about not being able to nurse Jack, and while I'm doing the pump-n-dump to keep up production I am nervous about keeping up... but I'm glad I've gotten the opportunity to experience this way of providing Jack food...

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a spasm free back, and the tingly feeling of muscle relaxers.

When you need them, drugs are a good thing.

No comments: