Friday, August 28, 2009

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted...



Today we're heading to West Palm Beach, Florida to visit with my dad's mother. This will be her first time meeting Jackson. My sister and her family will also be there with us and my dad... we're going to be preemptively celebrating Grandmom's 90th birthday. It's kind of momentous...

My Grandpop didn't give Grandmom money for anything other than household expenses, so Grandmom worked selling advertising space for the Reuben Donnelly corporation, which was the precursor to the Yellow Pages. She worked at a time when women didn't work unless they had to... Grandpop said Grandmom could keep whatever money she made, and this is how Grandmom traveled all over the world. She visited some of our relatives in Lithuania and South Africa. She went to Israel. And she's gone countless other places as well. Only within the past four years or so did her health become an issue, and she can't travel now. So if Mohammad can't come to the mountain, the mountain comes to Mohammad. We leave this afternoon, and will come home on Sunday.

I won't lie - I'm nervous about flying with Jackson, since he's so little. But I'm excited for him to meet his Great Grandmom.

I've got some posts set up so the blog will have some fresh content for all two of you who read it, but don't be surprised if you don't hear anything from me for a couple of days (unless I can set up some entries to automatically post to the blog, or unless I magically have access to the Interwebs and can upload pictures while we're in Florida).

No comments: